Biographical Notes
Relating to
The Earl E. Myers Story

Chapter 2 — Flash Forward

After the war I stopped in Platt City on the way to Grand Island from Independence, where my wife was staying with her mother. It was right after the war and I had my uniform on and knocked on Mr. and Mrs Johonaskys door. I had bought a present for them. They were overwhelmed and could not believe it. I took them to a local restaurant where I bought dinner. A crowd gathered and the town was so small that you could holler across to your farthest neighbor. Everyone wanted to know about the war and the B-29s and “Where was Saipan”? It was most likely the most excitement that they had ever experienced.

My Dad still was P----- at me and would not allow me into his home. He never encouraged me to go to flight training or anything else. He continued to ignore me. In 1957, a building at the old Grand Island Army Air Corp Base was to be dedicated and Nebraska. Sen. John Hurska requested a B-47 for static display from SAC Hdqs. My Sqn. C.O. asked if I was interested in making the flight as it was on a weekend. ”Sure” was my reply and off we went. My co-pilot at the time was Lt. George Nunes and the Nav was Lt. Les Lescovich, both retired as Bird Cols. I had called my brother who was 10 years younger than me to let him know of my arrival.

We departed Forbes with 35,000 lbs of fuel and a load of water-alki., 168 miles to G.I. On arrival we made a slow pass, gear-flaps down at about 500' feet and another high speed at 450 knots, pulled up and reduced power and entered the traffic pattern for landing.

Who was waiting but my Dad, his wife and my brother Harold, who was crippled at birth, the Glade Family and I don't remember who else. He was strutting around like a peacock and telling everyone that that was his son.

On departure we had so many people around the aircraft that we couldn't start engines. We had to ask for police to move them back. On takeoff as we departed, I hit the water injection with only about 20,000 lbs of fuel. Take off roll was about 2200 feet and the climbout was very nose high. We did a 270 degree turn and came back across at 450Ks (about 570 mph) indicated and headed back to Forbes and landed about 20 min. later.

Earl’s brother, Harold
Photo ca 1953
Photo Ctsy. Earl Myers

My Dad really never did want me around until I made Major, then he would tolerate me. When I made L/C he was more than friendly. One Saturday morning we were standing in his kitchen and were talking. He reached down and opened up a cabinet door and took out a bottle of booze and took a swig and popped the cork back on and put the bottle back. In a moment I reached down and pulled the door open an popped the cork and took a swig, returned the bottle to the cabinet and SLAMMED the door shut.
RB-47E on Display at Grand Island, Nebraska

Dad was a smoker, either a cigarette, pipe or cigar, all the time. On his death bed in Omaha he said, “I guess I started too soon and quit to late.” He never did apologize to me or even try to discuss the past. He died at age 69 from lung cancer. God rest his soul.

End Chapter 2 — Go to Chapter 3

Go to

EEM Introduction —Chapter 1 2345678


Return to Biographical Stories Index Page

Go to Home Page